132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
VIL Program Instructor - Verizon Grant (Hourly)
Job Posting Closing Times: Job postings are removed from advertising at 12:00 A.M. on the closing date e.g., at midnight on the day before the closing date.
If you are a current Austin Community College employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.
Austin Community College is a public two-year institution that serves a diverse population of approximately 41,000 credit students each Fall and Spring semester. We embrace our identity as a community college, as reflected in our mission statement. We promote student success and community development by providing affordable access, through traditional and distance learning modes, to higher education and workforce training, including appropriate applied baccalaureate degrees, in our service area.
As a community college committed to our mission, we seek to recruit and retain a workforce that:
Reflects the diversity of our community
Values intellectual curiosity and innovative teaching
Is attracted by the college's mission to promote equitable access to educational opportunities
Cares about student success and collaborates on strategies to facilitate success for under-represented populations
Welcomes difference and models respectful interaction with others
Engages with the community both within and outside of ACC
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
ACC is committed to the ongoing systemic changes needed to ensure the increased recruitment, inclusion, retention, and completion of historically underserved and underrepresented populations. Through continual strategic community engagement and professional development of administrators, faculty, staff, and students, the college demonstrates its dedication to fostering a culture and climate for equitable outcomes.
ACC is proud to serve a diverse student body as an open-access and low-cost institution. Dedicated faculty members are excellent professors who help students achieve their educational goals and are sensitive to our students' diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. In 2017 our faculty adopted a Statement of ACC Faculty Values. This Statement affirms that ACC's faculty members value collaboration, service, agency, scholarship, inclusion, and teaching, all of which attest to our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion at the heart of our mission.
Job Posting Title:VIL Program Instructor - Verizon Grant (Hourly)
Job Description Summary:To provide specialized, in person short-term instruction for the Verizon Innovative Learning (VIL) STEM Achievers program. The VIL program is a STEM enrichment program for students in grades 6-8. The program begins with a summer immersion experience and then offers one full workshop day in the fall and one in the spring for additional STEM learning.
For more information about the VIL program: https://www.nacce.com/vil
Description of Duties and Tasks
- Provides specialized, short-term instruction to middle school students.
- Delivers and correlates instruction to the standards within the respective content area in a discovery learning format, emphasizing hands-on learning using the curriculum developed by Verizon Innovative Learning.
- Utilizes best practices in regard to classroom management in order to foster student persistence and success.
- Collaborates closely with program personnel to maximize academic benefits for each student.
- Maintains up-to-date records of student progress, attendance, and behavior.
- Attends program meetings and training as assigned.
- Assists with additional program duties as assigned.
Must possess the required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the subject area.
- Knowledge of current education and instructional theories, methodologies, techniques, and principles.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Maintaining confidentiality of students and other work-related information.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills including tact, patience, diplomacy, sensitivity, and flexibility as it relates to working with students from varied socioeconomic backgrounds and learning styles.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, including students, instructors, tutors, and staff.
- Ability to apply knowledge of current education and instructional theories, methodologies, techniques, and principles.
- Ability to apply knowledge of the subject area.
- Demonstrate proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom.
- Demonstrate proficiency using an online learning management system such as Canvas to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties.
Required Work Experience
- Recent teaching experience, coursework, or other activity in the area of primary instruction
- Knowledge of current instructional strategies appropriate for students at the specified grade levels
Preferred Work Experience
- At least one year of related experience in STEM.
- Experience developing and preparing course materials/syllabi.
- Experience delivering lectures, leading discussions and/or laboratory experiments.
- Experience conducting evaluations of student performance and assignment of grades.
- Teaching credentials or experience appropriate for the level of students being taught OR
- Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Master’s Degree in education or related field
- ACC non-exempt (classified) employees are not eligible for employment consideration.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Valid Texas State Board for Educator Certification credential. College-level teaching experience can substitute for the teaching certificate.
- Familiarity with Immersive Media, Digital Product Innovations,Smart Solutions, and Artificial Intelligence + Robotics.
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation for travel within the ACC service area.
- Work is performed in a learning lab environment on campus in an academic setting. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing, and pulling. Occasional lifting of objects up to 20 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
$32.20/hour (6 positions)
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under the Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
Number of Openings:6
Job Posting Close Date:March 24, 2023
As required by the US Department of Education, employees are required to report violations under Title IX and, under the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), select individuals are required to report crimes. If this position is identified as a Campus Security Authority (Clery Act), you will be notified, trained, and provided resources for reporting.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC at its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the job.
*Please mention you saw this ad on FacultyJobs.*
Faculty Jobs in Popular Cities