132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Instructor or Lecturer, Communication General Education Program (GEP), Nicholson School of Communication and Media (NSCM)
Unleash Your Potential With Us
As a next-generation public research institution, we are an inclusive community of thinkers, doers, creators, innovators, healers, and leaders striving to shape the future and solve the world’s most challenging problems. No matter what your role is, when you join Knight Nation, you become an integral part of our mission to become a university for the future. You’ll be met with opportunities to connect and collaborate with uniquely talented faculty, staff, and students across 13 colleges and multiple campuses and regional locations. That means greater challenges to tackle, more meaningful opportunities to grow, and rewarding experiences that go beyond a paycheck.
The Nicholson School of Communication and Media (NSCM) in the College of Sciences at the University of Central Florida (UCF) invites applications for two full-time, nine-month, non-tenure earning instructors or lecturers in the General Education Program (GEP). These positions are anticipated to begin in August 2023.
The successful candidates will contribute to the mission of the Communication program through teaching at the undergraduate level and, depending on the highest degree attained, may teach at the graduate level. Based on the current workload policy, the successful candidates will teach four courses per semester in the general education program (e.g., Fundamentals of Oral Communication, Fundamentals of Technical Speaking, Introduction to Communication), as well as other communication courses based on student demand and instructor expertise. The successful candidate is also expected to participate in school and university service, including committee work.
NSCM is especially interested in hiring faculty members who can contribute to its climate of diversity and inclusion. NSCM is a student-centered school with a collegial faculty and staff. NSCM strives to be a premier academic program known for excellence in research, teaching, and service to students and the community. Students are active in internships and organizations on and off campus. The curriculum emphasizes the theoretical and applied aspects of the field and encourages diversity in all aspects of communication. NSCM currently offers eight baccalaureates, four master’s degree programs, and a Ph.D. program in strategic communication. For more information about the school and its programs, visit https://communication.ucf.edu/.
- A master’s degree (for an instructor) or a terminal degree (for a lecturer) in communication or another related field from an accredited institution is required by the start of employment.
- A minimum of two years of experience teaching communication, especially public speaking as the instructor of record.
- Evidence of teaching general education communication courses.
- Evidence of effective teaching in various delivery modes (e.g., face-to-face, online, mixed modes, large lecture, small skills classes, and experience integrating service-learning and other high-impact practices into their courses).
- Evidence of teaching international students.
- Evidence of a commitment to teaching and mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students, service to the department, university, and profession, and leadership to oversee service assignments for the program.
Additional Application Materials Required:
UCF requires all applications and supporting documents to be submitted electronically through the Human Resources employment opportunities website, https://www.ucf.edu/jobs/. In addition to the online application, interested candidates should upload the following:
(1) A letter of application outlining how you are prepared to join the faculty at UCF, highlighting teaching experience and other qualifications of the position.
(2) A curriculum vitae.
(3) A teaching philosophy, not to exceed 600 words, that addresses how you are prepared to instruct and mentor students in one of the most diverse universities in Florida and the U.S.
(4) A list of three academic or professional references with names and contact information, not reference letters.
NOTE: Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents later.
Review of applications will begin 01/19/2023 and continue until the positions are filled.
Questions regarding these positions should be directed to Dr. Harry Weger, professor and assistant director of Communication, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Instructions to the Applicants:
Job Close Date:
Are Benefits Important to You?
Working at UCF has its perks! In addition to helping drive change and having a positive impact by supporting our students, staff, and faculty, UCF offers:
- Benefit packages including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, healthcare flexible spending accounts, and an Employee Assistance Program.
- Paid time off, including annual and sick leave and paid holidays.
- Retirement savings options.
- Employee discounts, including tickets to many Orlando area attractions.
- Education assistance.
- Flexible work environment.
And more…For more benefits information, go to ‘Prospective Employees’ on the UCF Human Resources website (https://hr.ucf.edu/ )
Who Are We?
Founded in 1963 to fuel the region’s talent pipeline and support the growing U.S. space program, UCF is built to make a better future for our students and society. It’s one of the reasons U.S. News & World Report ranks UCF among the nation’s top 20 most innovative colleges, while Forbes, Kiplinger , and The Princeton Review rank us a best-value university. UCF is one of 14 universities nationwide designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Research 1 university. With 13 colleges, including a fully accredited College of Medicine, UCF offers more than 220-degree programs between its main campus, downtown campus, hospitality campus, academic health sciences campus, and 11 UCF Connect centers located throughout the region. In addition, UCF extends its reach to communities in and beyond Central Florida by offering complete, online programs leading to bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, Ph.D.'s., certificates, and more.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer. Unless explicitly stated on the job posting, it is UCF’s expectation that an employee of UCF will reside in Florida as of the date the employment begins.
Additional Requirements related to Research Positions
Pursuant to Florida State Statute 1010.35, prior to offering employment to certain individuals in research-related positions, UCF is required to conduct additional screening. Applicants subject to additional screening include any citizen of a foreign country who is not a permanent resident of the U.S., or who is a citizen or permanent resident but is affiliated with or has had at least 1 year of higher education, employment, or training in China, Cuba, Iran, Russia, North Korea, Syria, or Venezuela.
The additional screening requirements only apply to employment in research-related positions, including, but not limited to faculty positions (including employed visiting positions), graduate positions, individuals compensated by research grants or contract funds, postdoctoral scholar positions, and undergraduate positions.
DepartmentNicholson School of Communication and Media (NSCM)
Type of AppointmentRegular
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, UCF encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations. UCF's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf.
As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
The University of Central Florida is proud to be a smoke-free campus and an E-Verify employer.
*Please mention you saw this ad on FacultyJobs.*
Faculty Jobs in Popular Cities