132,210 Jobs at 2,116 Institutions.
Cook/Instructor- FT (Galaxy)
Cook/Instructor- FT (Galaxy)
Full Job Description
COOK/INSTRUCTOR - Sign-on Bonus $500
Department: Business Operations
Status: Non-Exempt, Full Time
Location: Seattle, WA.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
FareStart is a nonprofit organization in Seattle, Washington that transforms lives, disrupts poverty, and nourishes communities through food, life skills, and job training. We help people overcome employment barriers by teaching them work and life skills they need to succeed in the food-based jobs — and in life.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis, FareStart has provided millions of meals to organizations across the Seattle area that serve youth, adults, and families who are low income or experiencing food insecurity.
ABOUT THE POSITON
As the Cook/Instructor, you will work closely with FareStart adult students, training them in basic food preparation skills. Job duties include planning, preparing, and executing meal production; inventory management; and executing menu and recipe standards.
- Assist in the day-to-day operation of the kitchen, coordinate food production schedules, and ensure the highest level of food quality, taste, and presentation.
- Participate in actual food preparation; produce food of consistently high quality, taste, and presentation; and expedite during peak meal periods as needed.
- Control food cost by utilizing the proper methods of food preparation, handling, and storage.
- Ensure all kitchen employees, students, and volunteers consistently adhere to uniform, grooming, and appearance standards
- In conjunction with management, maintain goals for the kitchen, anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipate trends, and enact approved profit-oriented and cost-saving ideas/activities.
- Establish and require strict adherence to the health department, sanitation, and food handling guidelines.
- Ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications, and train students on all new menus.
- Maintain effective communication and working relationship with the kitchen and program staff, be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns, and work to resolve problems.
- Assist with completion of daily food orders based upon projected levels of business.
- Ensure adherence to all food and kitchen safety standards in production, storage, and dishwashing areas.
- Provide hands-on, direct training with students on core kitchen competencies.
- Additional duties, as required.
- 3 - 5 years of experience in high volume kitchen; or Banquet and Catering experience.
- Formal culinary training or equivalent preferred.
- A passion for excellence through teamwork, positive change, and communication.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Demonstrated coaching style reflecting compassion, wisdom, and integrity.
- Experience working with disadvantaged men and women preferred.
- Valid Washington State driver's license, with a 5-year clean driving record may be required.
- Knowledge of food safety and sanitation principles, with a valid King County Food Handler's Permit.
COVID-19 CONSIDERATION: FareStart requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Competitive pay based on experience and qualifications
- Paid time-off (3 weeks first year of employment) and paid holidays
- 401(k) savings plan
- Health, disability, and life insurance
- Free ORCA pass
- Free Shift Meal
Why Should You Apply?
- Be part of our mission to disrupt poverty.
- Join a supportive, respectful, and celebratory community among our staff, students, board, and volunteers
- Organizational commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace
- FareStart encourages the personal and professional growth of its employees
For information on FareStart, including more information on employee benefits and our company culture, visit our website at: www.farestart.org/about
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity:
FareStart is committed to becoming a fully inclusive, antiracist, diverse organization. To fulfill our mission, vision, and values we are seeking candidates who demonstrate shared values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism.
Our Commitment To Anti-Racism
FareStart defines antiracism as the clear acknowledgment that racism permeates organizations, communities, and industries, including our own. We recognize that we have a duty to be vigilant in addressing and confronting racism in how we make decisions, show up in our communities, build business practices and policies, and engage in intentional partnerships and philanthropic endeavors to fulfill our mission and vision.
*Please mention you saw this ad on FacultyJobs.*
Faculty Jobs in Popular Cities